19.3.11

Unpretentious


Jesse and I found ourselves without plans last Saturday night. I was suppose to be away at a resort in Ontario. Every winter my friend and I book a place and take off for the week with the kids. It's usually affordable and it allows us to have a week away from the grind and some good friend time. It is also lovely to have a destination that doesn't make us feel left behind by all those who are flying South for some sunshine.

This vacation didn't work out so well. Within the first 3 days three of us had thrown up. The flu was upon us and I hightailed it out of there before my kids were bedridden with the worst.

So we found ourselves with a free Saturday night. We were all in good health so it only made sense that we should entertain. Jess had one stipulation. He would cook and it wouldn't be anything fancy. I tend to get excited at the prospect of cooking something interesting for friends and sometimes I go a little overboard. Luckily Jess is a good cook so I let him take over. Phone calls were made and guests arrived. It was meatloaf and mash potatoes for everyone and we all loved it. I didn't even get a chance to take a proper photograph before it was all gone.

There is something to be said about a simple meal. There is more to be said about sharing it with friends. It's one of my favorite things to do and I plan to do it with more simplicity in the future. Unless I'm feeling a little fancy.

Jesse has gone gluten free so most of our recipes are modified to accommodate this. This one is more moist than the breadcrumb version and is now our new standard. I hope you like it.

Gluten Free Meatloaf

2 lbs ground steak or lean ground beef
2 eggs, whisked
1/2 cooked rice
2 tsp salt
2 onions, finely chopped and sauteed
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer and press into a loaf pan. Bake at 400 C for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment