27.3.11

Moderation



Moderation is not my strong point. I'm a true believer that if you buy pint of ice cream, you should eat that pint. Why delay the inevitable? It's all going to the same place. You are simply being more efficient if you eat it all now. Am I right here or what?

I remember listening to Howard Stern one morning talking about how much he loves almonds. Each day he would count out 12 almonds to eat for that day. He never ate more that than. How can a man so lacking in boundaries be able to tame his love of almonds everyday? I'll telling you, the world is a baffling place.

My weekend consisted of not enough moderation. This seems to seep into my daily life as well. I feel the need to curb some of my indulgences. I know I'm worth it, but I'm not sure my body and mind are thanking me for my lack of discipline. Perhaps April is my month to restrict such loves as cheese, chocolate and dare I say, wine. I need more sleep, so maybe less outings and more early bedtimes. I also need more exercise. April sure is starting to sound like a drag.

I recently got introduced to a very tasty kale salad. I'm not claiming that this is exciting news, it's simply a fact. I have no problem eating kale in moderation. Why is that? April is my month to change such discrepancies, and I'm starting with the recipe below.

Kale Salad with Pecorino Cheese and Lemon

1 large bunch of kale, washed and trimmed of stems
4 ounces Pecorino Romano, grated
2 lemons juiced
Handful of tamari almonds, crushed
1/2 cup olive oil
Kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste

Slice deveined kale into thin ribbons. Toss the shaved kale with teh cheese in large bowl.
Whisk lemon juice and olive oil together and pour over salad. Season with salt and pepper. Let salad sit at room temperature for an hour before serving. Sprinkle with almonds before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment