27.5.10

Fresh


My favorite restaurant in Toronto is called Fresh. It is vegan, and has such good food. I know a lot of you are thinking what I'm thinking. How can vegan and good food be in the same sentence? How do they live without bacon, cream, and all the other tasty treats animals have to offer? Well I don't have the answer for you. All I know is that those vegans at Fresh sure can cook.

I worked in the service industry for about 12 years. I started when I was about 16. I have fond memories of those days. I certainly had some good times. When I'm reminiscing about those days, sometimes I think I'd like to do that job again. It only takes about 10 minutes in a busy restaurant to make me realize that doing a job in your twenties might be a wee bit different than taking orders in your late thirties. I don't want to go back.

I do fantasize about owning my very own sandwich truck. Every time I see one I think it would be fun getting up early and making a wad of sammies, and then heading to the construction site. I even envision muscling out the mom and pop truck that's been at that site for the last 30 years. Oh don't tell me I don't have dreams! I'm not going to be a stay at home mom forever.

I made an avocado soup that I'll be serving at my sandwich truck if you are interested. I'll have to rename it my sandwich/soup truck. It's not vegan but I'm pretty sure the folks at Fresh would like it too. I'll sneak it on the menu when I get a job there. Just don't tell them there's dairy in it.

Cucumber Avocado Soup

1/2 English cucumber, sliced
1 avocado
1-2 jalapenos, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup of plain yoghurt
1-2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste
a handful of cilantro
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp of oil

Heat oil in a saucepan and saute the garlic until fragrant. Add all other ingredients and blend until smooth. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Serve chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment