15.10.10

Dad


I haven't posted in a while. My dad died suddenly a few days ago. This is the last photo I took of him. We had a complicated relationship. One full of love, anger, forgiveness, wisdom, and awkwardness. He tried to be a good father but sometimes he stumbled. I know he loved me deeply and I mostly returned that love. At times I was too angry to do so. My dad taught me to forgive. Indirectly he showed me that I could live a life of anger and hate or I could forgive and let love be my guiding force. We all have our demons but not everyone is strong enough to conquer them.
My kids saw a gentler side of my father and for that I am grateful. He was a loving grandfather, and enjoyed every moment he had with them. I hope their memories of my father remain with them always.
The last time I saw my dad was on Thanksgiving weekend for my daughter's birthday. We all had a good time, and it was the last meal I shared with him. I made spaghetti and meatballs and lasagna, as I do for all my kids birthday dinners. My dad always liked when I cooked Italian. He wasn't even close to being a vegetarian but enjoyed my veggie lasagna. I use to slave over my lasagnas but no longer have the luxury of making everything from scratch. So dad, here's my recipe. It will always remind me of you.

Lazy Man's Lasagna

9-12 oven ready lasagna noodles
1 jar of tomato sauce
250 ml cottage cheese
1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 cup grated mozzerella cheese
1 large bunch of baby spinach, chopped finely
1 250 ml jar of roasted red peppers, drained and finely diced
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 C. Lightly oil a 9 x 13" glass baking dish. Combine cottage cheese, spinach, eggs, and 1/2 cup Parmesan and 1/2 cup mozzerella in a large bowl. Mix well. Pour small amount of tomato sauce on the bottom of pan. Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles, then 1/3 of cottage cheese mixture and 1/3 of peppers. Repeat until all filling is in pan. Cover top layer of noodles with remaining tomato sauce and cheese. Bake for 45 minutes and serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lady,
    I am so sorry to hear about your father. Thanks for sharing and I am happy to know you recently had some good times with him.
    Love the background print (pink/floral) and I want to try the fig salad below.
    Hugs.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the honest and heartfelt words about your dad, Alysa. This Lasagna was a nice simple, hearty recipe to share. Comfort food always make things better, especially when the going is rough.
    van.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, candid post about your Dad. Sometimes it feels like you should sanctify and rhapsodize about those who have passed away. But honesty and candor about your Dad, your relationship with him and what you saw between him and your children honors his life much more than half-truths and platitudes.

    I am sorry I could not be there for you and Bryn with the family. My Mom and Dad were so glad they could share that time with all of you.

    Love, Diane

    ReplyDelete