8.6.10

Pick Me Ups


I haven't been sleeping very well lately. Let me tell me you it's cramping my style. I'm not one of those people who is all bubbly and cheerful regardless of circumstance. I think I'd be fairly creepy if that were the case. It's like those uber parents you see in the playground. You know the ones. They know all the kid's names. They have lengthy discussions with every kid asking about who their favorite dinosaur or barbie is. They do all of this knee deep in the sand pile with a freaky clown smile on their face. I always think those over achieving parents in the playground are just putting on an act to diffuse their guilt over their extreme grumpiness behind closed doors.

I think I may have found the solution to my tired days. It's caffeine. Now I know that most people have already figured this out but this is a new revelation to me. I only starting drinking coffee after I had my third kid. I'd been off the stuff for 12 years. When I was in university I was living on a pretty steady diet of tea, diet coke and nachos. After figuring that this may not be a healthy option I drastically switched my diet to nachos with caffeine free drinks.

But let me tell you, throw in three kids under three and little to no help with childcare, and you'd be jumping on the coffee train every morning as well. My little one is now 2 1/2 years old and I've got my coffee consumption down to every other day. I'm a little slow on the off days but I make it up on my coffee days. So if you see me in the playground being too nice to your kids and doing cartwheels it's not because I'm creepy, I'm just jacked up on my two cups of java.

Fish Tacos

Shrimp
1 lb extra large shrimp shelled and cleaned
3 tbsp teriyaki sauce
Sauce
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
2 tsp prepared wasabi, or to taste
Salsa
1/2 English cucumber, halved, seeded and sliced
1 tbsp red onion finely chopped
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tbsp picked ginger, chopped
1 ripe avocado, chopped
salt to taste
1 tsp hot sweet chili sauce
8 flour tortillas
2 cups romaine lettuce

Toss shrimp with teriyaki sauce and cook on bbq until shrimp is opaque. Combine wasabi and mayonnaise and set aside. Combine all ingredients for salsa in a bowl and mash together. Set aside. To assemble, spread sauce on tortillas, place several shrimp in tortillas and top with a spoonful of salsa and lettuce. Roll up tortillas tightly and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment