25.2.10

Kale


I hate kale. Well, that's not entirely true, I just don't know what to do with it. I rarely buy kale but it tends to show up quite frequently in my organic box.
I know all the wonderfully boring things about how good it is for me, but that still doesn't make me excited about seeing it all smiley faced in my fridge. I am ashamed to say that in my past, I've let many well intentioned bunches of kale go limp with neglect until they are a sad pile of limp in the dark corners of my crisper. I will abuse kale no more! I have a few recipes that might help us get through all that damn kale that gets planted.

Kale and Sundried Tomato Pesto

1/2 bunch of kale
250 ml jar of sundried tomatoes in oil
1/2 cup of toasted pine nuts
juice of half a lemon or to taste
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup of grated parmesan

Steam kale until desired consistency. Combine all ingredients and blend with a hand blender. Serve over pasta. My daughter actually cheered when I served this to her.

Kale and Chickpea Curry

1 bunch of kale chopped
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 medium onion chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic crushed
3-6 tsp of curry powder
1 can of diced tomatoes (796 ml or 28 fl oz)
1 can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
salt and pepper to taste
chopped coriander (optional but I feel like it's essential)

Saute onion until golden. Add garlic and curry powder for another minute. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, and kale. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes or until kale has soften to your liking. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over rice with chopped coriander.

Kale and Almond Butter Sammy

1 leaf of kale
1 tsp of oil
2 toasted slices of light rye
1 tbsp of almond butter
Salt to taste

Lightly saute your kale in heated oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt or as much as your heart can handle. Spread almond butter over your toast and assemble in typical sandwich formation.

1 comment:

  1. How about Kale Chips.

    Toss in olive oil and salt.
    spread out in baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or so at 400 until crispy and chip-like. It is the closest thing to crappy snacks that healthy food can get. I bet even your kids will eat them.

    ReplyDelete