6.3.10

Making Yoghurt


Yup you read right. I'm making my own yoghurt. And let me tell you, it rocks. I'm not sure if it actually tastes better than the store bought kind or if it would win in a blind taste test, but I'm loving making it. It's the whole process of making something from scratch when I had no idea how it was made. All I knew is that I could buy it from the store, and that they seemed too expensive and loaded with crap I can't pronounce. There are lots of food products that I'm not sure how they make them but I want to do it myself. Cheese, crackers, marshmallows, and booze are all future projects. It is legal to make your own marshmallows isn't it? It won't make me go blind?

I also love that I've created no garbage while making yoghurt and that it never touches plastic. I'm not a fan of plastic. Yes I am one of those people. There was a lot of hullabaloo recently about which plastics are the safe ones. Which plastics don't leech hormone disrupting toxins, and carcinogens into our foods and which ones are okay. I'm pretty sure none of them are okay. I think it was just a way of placating the masses, so big business can claim they are being responsible while still producing the "safe" plastics and topping up our landfill. But that is my theory.

When I make my own yoghurt, the milk comes from a glass jar, to my metal pot, to my recycled glass containers. Not a drop of of plastic enters the process and no waste is create. It's awesome. If only my neighbour had a cow, I could go right to the source. Life is hard in the city, not so many cows to milk. Luckily, yoghurt making is pretty easy so it makes up for the lack of cows. Here are the how to's;

Yoghurt

3 litres of milk
1/4 cup existing plain yoghurt with live cultures

The first thing you must do is change the lightbulb in your oven to a 60 watt bulb. You can use either skim, 2% or whole milk. I usually do 3 litres at a time but you can use any amount. Heat milk to 185 F. If you do not have a thermometer, 185F is when the milk will start to froth. You may have to stir occasionally so as not to scorch the milk. Once the milk begins to froth, remove from heat, cover and let cool to room temperature. This process will take several hours. Once cooled, remove 1/2 cup of milk and mix with 1/4 cup of existing yoghurt. Add that mixture to the pot of milk, and mix thoroughly. Pour milk in sterilized containers. I like to use old mason jars that I've washed in the dishwasher. Place filled containers in oven with the oven light on and let stand in oven for a minimum of 24 hours. If it exceeds 24 hours the fermentation will just continue which is just dandy. Place yoghurt in fridge and enjoy for weeks to come.

3 comments:

  1. Next?

    http://chefdanielangerer.typepad.com/chef_daniel_angerers_blog/2010/02/mommys-milk.html

    OJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alysa - I also make my own yoghurt ( although in a yoghurt maker) to eliminate plastic containers and I was wondering where you get your milk in a glass jar?

    JD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey JD,
    I buy Harmony milk at my local health food store, and it comes in returnable glass jars. The only other brand that I see is at Rowe Farms outlets but I can't remember the brand name. I'll check the next time I go in and make a note of the company name. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete